incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [code] (stax-api) Anyone still uses Java 5?
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:52:26 GMT
On 02/12/12 08:55, Carl Marcum wrote:
> On 02/11/2012 10:23 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> Hi;
>>
>> We currently carry an old version(1.0) of StAX-api that is
>> under copyleft. This library is supposed to be needed by
>> Saxon-B but we don't really use this library because
>> is now part of OpenJDK 1.6 and upper so we only need it
>> when trying to use an old version of Java and we are not
>> using the system-saxon.
>>
>> The latest version of this library (1.2) is now under
>> Apache License 2:
>>
>> http://stax.codehaus.org/
>>
>> I started to update it but I can't really test it:
>> deinstalling jdk6 to bring back jdk5 and rebuild
>> everything is not exactly fun ;).
>>
>> Anyone wants to play a bit with a patch? Alternatively
>> we could just leave things as they are and drop
>> StaX out of the distribution after 3.4-Release.
>>
>> Pedro.
>>

> +1 on dropping Java 5.
>
> The only reason I could see to keep Java 5 would be to not break users
> programs or a due to a platform we wish to support that could not use
> Java 6.
>
> I checked Oracle's compatibility page for Java SE 5 to 6 [1] and
> virtually all programs that were built on 5 will run on 6.
>
> I am even running Java 6 on a Win 2000 instance I keep for testing.
> Supported platforms for Java 6 [2].
>
> [1]
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/compatibility-137541.html
>
> [2]
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/system-configurations-135212.html
>
> Best regards,
> Carl

Some of the Java stuff that we carry was actually developed with
Java 4 so I am rather surprised that everything seems to work!

I committed an update to the StaX API as revision 1243337;
since it is only used for older versions of Java it's doubtful
anyone will notice any difference.

FWIW, the instructions to use the binary version were outdated
and it seems all other Apache projects decided to abandon the
old StaX version we had in the repository:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XMLBEANS-308

cheers,

Pedro.