incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bauer <f...@akerbeltz.org>
Subject Re: Where is Localization/Translation Now?
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:28:17 GMT
> I assume you refer to my "leading by doing" statement. I disagree with
> your best case scenario. After all, this is how development is done.
> Are there (should there be) different rules for translators?
>
> -Andre

Putting it the other way, would you give just anyone the right to commit
new (structural) code?

Community translation has its good sides and it's bad sides. What will
undoubtedly happen is that there will be disagreements over style,
terminology and orthography. Unless you have the option of making
someone the "arbiter" of that locale, you end up with the most
nauseating hotchpotch of style, terminology and orthography. Some of the
Google interface languages are like that.

It's a quality issue. If you're (AOO as a project that is) not bothered
about, say, the interface switching between old and new German spelling
within the same locale, one person calling the same thing a
"Rechtschreibprüfung" in one menu and "Orthographiechecker" in another,
then that's worrying.

Michael