incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject OpenOffice on Wikipedia
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:30:36 GMT
Hi,

I recently found myself at the english Wikipedia page for "Twip" (a unit
of length). Nothing unexpected there except the following sentence:

     They are also used in Rich Text Format from Microsoft for platform-
     independent exchange and they are the base length unit in
     LibreOffice.

While technically wrong (twip is *a* unit used in Writer but (almost)
not in the other applications) the exclusive mentioning of LibreOffice
caught my eye.  The original use of the word OpenOffice.org was changed
on June 1st 2011 to LibreOffice.

I don't care much about this replacement on this very page.  I have no
plan to simply change it back.  I rather wonder how a good and fair
solution could look like for situations where you want to make a
reference to the family of OpenOffice suites, both the original and its
forks.  When searching for the term OpenOffice in the english Wikipedia
then I am forwarded to OpenOffice.org. There, Apache OpenOffice are the
first words in the main text.

Could/should there be some sort of a disambiguation page like
"OpenOffice family" that mentions the different members of the family?

Andre