incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <>
Subject Re: Localization
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:31:32 GMT
On 06/02/2012 Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 06.02.2012 16:38, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> BTW, just out of curiosity--and my perennial desire to ease work--how
>> plausible (if not possible) is it to collaborate on this with the
>> LO/TDF folks?
> I would like that, but there are technical reasons against this:
> The content of the localization data reflects the file structure of our
> source code. If you add or remove files that need localization then you
> change the set of po files on the pootle server.

Technically this is true, but it would still be possible and helpful (to
both localizers and users) to share translation memories, so that we can
be sure that, say, the Italian translation of the SUMIF() Calc function
is the same in both suites.

However, it seems that in this specific moment global cooperation
attempts are bound to result in a waste of time at best. I stay hopeful
that things will change and that both sides get more pragmatic, but I
can't predict when this will happen and until that happens we will just
need to get things done in both projects.

View raw message