incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can we move forward with shutting down the openoffice.org email forwarder?
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:00:13 GMT
On 07/02/2012 Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2012, at 5:28 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> Back in December, I was helping put together a plan for shutting down
>> the legacy email forwarder.  That work was on the wiki and the mailing
>> list.  It was put on hold due to concerns that the forwarding service
>> might have a complex relationship with one or more other subsystems,
>> such as Bugzilla and the Extension/Template repository.
>> Was this ever resolved?
>
> Yes. We can't login to E&  T. The two are detached. No reason here to keep openoffice.org.

On the contrary, this is the main reason to keep the openoffice.org
forwarders.

Let me outline the only way I see to save the current users on
Extensions and Templates:

1) Currently, login is supposed to happen thrugh some web services
provided by something.openoffice.org (possibly
eis.services.openoffice.org); this facility has been unavailable for
five weeks (possibly due to the DNS migration, possibly not) and it does
not rely on the openoffice.org forwarders being available. However,
currently nobody can access Extensions or Templates, meaning there is no
way to update an Extension or upload a new one.

2) Very likely the Drupal system on Extensions and Templates, upon
successful login, duplicated usernames. This is why you see "pescetti"
at http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/node/1204/releases ;
however, it didn't duplicate passwords or e-mail addresses.

3) The authentication mechanism on Extensions and Templates is changed
so that usernames are kept, but passwords and e-mail addresses are
stored in the local database instead of being retrieved from the
(unavailable) openoffice.org web services. Of course, we only have valid
usernames at this point, not passwords or e-mail addresses.

4) Collecting all the usernames from the Drupal database will give us
the list of all users (in the form "pescetti") but not their e-mail
addresses; so in order to e-mail them we will need to use the
corresponding openoffice.org forwarder, obtaining by appending
"@openoffice.org" to the username. This is why we can't retire them now.

5) The e-mail contains a one-time login link, allowing the user to
change his password and e-mail address; the form validation will reject
addresses in the form username@openoffice.org; the new password and
e-mail address are stored in the Drupal database and the dependency on
openoffice.org forwarders is solved.

If this doesn't happen, there will be no way for any extensions
maintainer to update his extensions; only point 3 above could be
executed, meaning that in order to upload a new version of the Italian
dictionary I would have to create a new account, a new extension and
upload my new release (and of course break extension updates on the
client, i.e., breaking the update check in OpenOffice).

Regards,
   Andrea.