incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: source release script
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 08:34:12 GMT
On 2/6/12 7:22 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> 2012/2/6 Jürgen Schmidt<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently work on a script to package a source release zip, tar.gz
>> file.
>>
>> The idea is to do it later as part of our build bot builds and without
>> copying files into a tmp directory or so to reflect the final directory
>> structure.
>>
>> At the moment I am playing with an ant script that allows me to zip the
>> necessary directories with an exclude list and to prefix everything with a
>> configurable directory name (e.g aoo-3.4). And it allows me to copy some
>> files like the main/NOTICE file into the new root directory.
>>

> Is this able to ignore all the hidden .svn folders?
yes

>> The structure can look like
>>
>> aoo-3.4/NOTICE
>> aoo-3.4/README
>> aoo-3.4/LICNESE
>> aoo-3.4/...
>> aoo-3.4/main/...
>> aoo-3.4/extras/...
>> aoo-3.4/ext_libraries/...
>>
>> The nice thing with ant is that I can easy convert a generated zip file into
>> a tar.gz file. But ok that takes some time where as creating the zip file
>> was quite fast.
>>
>> Does anybody has a better idea how to do that without copying all the files
>> in a final directory structure or checking out the files into a target
>> directory for example aoo3.4.
>>

> "svn export" will bring down the files without the .svn tracking
> folders.  But that is still a separate download.
>
> I wonder if ant is jut calling java.io.zip stuff to do the archiving?
> If so, it might be a lot faster to call a native zip utility.
I don't know but creating the zip file only was ok (2 minutes and 46
seconds). The conversion of the zip into tar.gz was incredible slow.
It's no option.

zipping the unpacked aoo-3.4 directory again takes ~2 minutes. But here
we need have to export the sources again in the final directory or copy
everything first into the final directory structure.

I will do some further test creating tar.gz, tar.bz2 directly. If it's
comparable with creating the zip I would say ant is fine for creating
the src releases. We can simply add a further target for the build bots.

> Question:  if we do ZIP on Windows, will it preserve the executable
> bits on files?  If not, maybe we want to create the source package
> only from the Linux buildbot and never on the others.

I have to check it, don't know for sure. But I would say that creating
the src release on Linux should be enough.

Juergen