incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: Localization
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:43:26 GMT
On 06.02.2012 16:38, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> Andre,
>

> On 6 February 2012 10:23, Andre Fischer<af@a-w-f.de>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am currently looking into the localization (also known as l10n) process.
>>   After some days of digging into it and banging my head against the wall, I
>> have set up a new wiki page ([1]) with what I have found out so far.
>>
>> It is intended for developers not for translators.  For the later there
>> exist already some pages ([2], [3]).
>>
>> At the moment some parts of the page are more a brain dump than readable
>> text.  The matter is amazingly complex, convoluted and hidden.  Only a part
>> of it is part of the build process.  There are many manual steps that use
>> scripts that are lost since the old pootle server crashed.
>>
>> Therefore any help to fill in the gaps and missing pieces is welcome.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andre
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers
>> [2] http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/
>> [3] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization
>
> This is great news. Thanks!
> BTW, just out of curiosity--and my perennial desire to ease work--how
> plausible (if not possible) is it to collaborate on this with the
> LO/TDF folks?
> louis

I would like that, but there are technical reasons against this:

The content of the localization data reflects the file structure of our
source code.  If you add or remove files that need localization then you
change the set of po files on the pootle server.
That means, that as long we LO and AOO have different code bases, we can
not use the same localization data.

So, first we have to unite, than we can share localization.

-Andre