incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: help wanted to define default dictionaries for languages
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 23:18:34 GMT
On 16/01/2012 J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> I am not really familiar with thwe dictionaries/thesaurus and would like
> to ask for help to define a list of default dictionaries/thesaurus for
> each language if possible.

We should start from the dictionaries that were already included in
OpenOffice.org 3.4 beta. Besides some special cases, like the Spanish
dictionaries already discussed here, they will be the dictionaries users
are used to.

> Based on this list we have to work on a mechanism to include the
> dictionaries in our binary releases. ...
> I propose that we collect this list in the wiki first and prepare later
> on a simple text file that we can check-in in svn for the build process.
> As place for the wiki page I suggest a sub-page under
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning
> with the name "Bundled Default Language Tools" or so.

I started
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Bundled+Writing+Aids
(short: http://s.apache.org/rf )
but matching all dictionaries with their upstream sources will take some
time, especially considering that the Extensions site is not stable yet.

> We need also a volunteer who analyze the mechanism to include these
> extensions in our binary releases ...

If we manage to download them, everything should be ready, with two
major obstacles:
1) Depending on the availability of the Extensions site (or of a dozen
different sites) to download the dictionaries at build time is problematic.
2) Dictionaries included in the OpenOffice.org sources were repackaged:
for example, files in the Italian writing aids extension were moved and
renamed; so it could be that we cannot just download extensions as they
are, and if we need some logic/scripts we must store it somewhere.

Regards,
   Andrea.