incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Contributed code (was Re: Fake OpenOffice site?)
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 22:23:50 GMT
On 2/3/2012 16:37, Andrew Rist wrote:
> <snip snip>
>
> On 2/2/2012 4:50 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>> On 2012-02-01 9:01 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> 1) Oracle contributed the OpenOffice.org source code and trademarks
>>> to Apache
>>
>> Really? I thought Oracle granted a license of most of the
>> OpenOffice.org source code to Apache, not all of it. If they had
>> granted a license of all the source code, we'd probably be about a
>> month further along in the schedule, maybe? But we've done amazing
>> work filling in the pieces and making the current Apache OpenOffice
>> releases work while ensuring we only use permissively licensed code.
> Hey Shane - probably just an issue with wording, but just want to add
> this to the discussion...
> Oracle granted a license to the stuff that Oracle had clear copyright
> ownership on. I don't think there is anything owned by Oracle that was
> not donated - especially nothing that is pushing the schedule back at
> this point.
> There are a lot of non-Sun/Oracle code used by the project (some of it
> copyleft) - obviously this could not be 'donated' by Oracle.
> It is the remediation of this code that has been the source of the last
> few months of work - mostly copyleft dependencies and 'extensions' (I'm
> thinking dictionaries and the like here)
>
> A.

Andrew,

The only code I know of that got lost is the crash-dump analysis code
(J├╝rgen is the expert on it). It is a bee in my bonnet, because I
consider it indispensable for certain kinds of problems. It was
Sun-proprietary code, run in Hamburg.

IMHO, its reincarnation would be worth considerable effort.

--
/tj/