incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Fake OpenOffice site?
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 21:37:15 GMT
<snip snip>

On 2/2/2012 4:50 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> On 2012-02-01 9:01 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> 1) Oracle contributed the OpenOffice.org source code and trademarks
>> to Apache
>
> Really?  I thought Oracle granted a license of most of the
> OpenOffice.org source code to Apache, not all of it.  If they had
> granted a license of all the source code, we'd probably be about a
> month further along in the schedule, maybe?  But we've done amazing
> work filling in the pieces and making the current Apache OpenOffice
> releases work while ensuring we only use permissively licensed code.
Hey Shane - probably just an issue with wording, but just want to add
this to the discussion...
Oracle granted a license to the stuff that Oracle had clear copyright
ownership on.  I don't think there is anything owned by Oracle that was
not donated - especially nothing that is pushing the schedule back at
this point.
There are a lot of non-Sun/Oracle code used by the project (some of it
copyleft) - obviously this could not be 'donated' by Oracle.
It is the remediation of this code that has been the source of the last
few months of work - mostly copyleft dependencies and 'extensions' (I'm
thinking dictionaries and the like here)

A.