incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Fake OpenOffice site?
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:50:56 GMT
On 2012-02-01 9:01 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Shane Curcuru<asf@shanecurcuru.org>  wrote:
>> No, that website and any related websites are not affiliated with the Apache
>> Software Foundation, the Apache OpenOffice podling, nor with the
>> OpenOffice.org software product.
>>
>> We strongly recommend that you do not do business with the owners of that
>> website.
>>
>> Past releases of OpenOffice.org software products are available at:
>>
>>   http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>>
>> Note that while OpenOffice.org the product does not have any future release
>
> Products don't have release plans.  Projects do.   If you see the code
> starting to have a release plan of its then own please enter a defect
> in Bugzilla so we can fix any emergent intelligence that got into the
> code.
>
>> plans, this Apache OpenOffice project plans to use most of the code from
>> that product to create a great new - and always free - office productivity
>> suite.  You can learn more about this podling's plans for the future Apache
>
> This is a very tortured way of expressing some very simple facts that
> should be known by route by every PPMC member:

Sorry about my possibly convoluted phrasing if anyone besides Rob was
confused by it, but my message was primarily focused at people not on
the PPMC, and on anyone reviewing this thread in the archives.
Similarly, besides the phrasing, I would be astounded if any PPMC
members weren't aware of all this, and I see that another committer here
already answered the user's question while I was writing my reply.

> 1) Oracle contributed the OpenOffice.org source code and trademarks to Apache

Really?  I thought Oracle granted a license of most of the
OpenOffice.org source code to Apache, not all of it.  If they had
granted a license of all the source code, we'd probably be about a month
further along in the schedule, maybe?  But we've done amazing work
filling in the pieces and making the current Apache OpenOffice releases
work while ensuring we only use permissively licensed code.

- Shane