incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CODE] update services
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 05:08:43 GMT
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 05:59:46PM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 1/27/12 8:06 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> >Hi Jürgen,

> >>We are working on the replacement for neon with libserf. It's the last big
> >>missing feature for IP clearance. We have to reimplement the UCP and have
> >>to integrate 3 libs (apr, apr-util and serf) in our buil env. It's mainly
> >>Oliver and Andre who are working on this right now.
> >

> >As I work in Linux, I managed to do the trick with:
> >
> >* configure --with-system-neon will enable the WebDav content provider
> >* export BUILD_SPECIAL=YES because the update component is not installed
> >   without that env. var. set, vid. scp2/util/makefile.mk:
> >
> >.IF "$(BUILD_SPECIAL)"!=""
> >SCP1FILES += \
> >     module_onlineupdate.par   \
> >     file_onlineupdate.par
> >.ENDIF
> >

> >Side note: that BUILD_SPECIAL adds other stuff. It should be replaced
> >with an --enable-update-service or the like.
>
> did you have worked on this already?

Committed as revision 1293078
Online Update is enabled by default. It can be turned off with
--disable-online-update
--enable-online-update=no

Tested it by changing the URL to
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update.feed
and both checking for updates and downloading the tar file worked fine.

> Now where we have the neon replacement in place we should try to
> bring up a working online update service. I think it would be very
> useful for our upcoming release to promote it to our users. A basic
> version should be enough for now to simply inform our users.
>
> Any volunteers to drive this forward?

I guess that first it has to be decided where it would be hosted, this
will determinate the language used to implement the service (Java, PHP,
etc.).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile