incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for use of funds collected by SPI
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 03:07:41 GMT

--- Sab 11/2/12, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM,
> Gavin McDonald <gavin@16degrees.com.au>
> wrote:
> > I'm happy to answer any Travel Assistance (TAC) related
> questions.
> >
> > At this stage, I don’t see any reason why as a one
> off funds cannot
> > be added to the TAC budget and held in reserve for ASF
> sponsored
> > OOo related events.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Gav...
>
> Seems like a good start. Thanks, Gavin
>
>   Does anybody think it makes more sense to divide the
> money into
> equal chunks, or just drop it into Travel Assistance as
> Gavin suggests?

First of all, thanks to Wolf for taking the initiative
in solving this issue. Anything related to money, and
especially donations, is something that tends to be
delicate.

My understanding is that we are talking about something
around 20K US$. While it is good money, I think keeping
it for one purpose like travel assistance will give
better results than splitting into different needs.

I also think we shouldn't underestimate the value of
getting to actually see the faces of other developers
and talking over ideas. Getting some guys, that otherwise
would never go to any event, to meet in an ApacheCon
would be an excellent use for this money.

This said: yes, I am biased, I like to travel even
if ApacheCons are not usually in the Bahamas ;).

Pedro.