incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Start compleetly new with http://de.openoffice.org
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:25:29 GMT

On Feb 21, 2012, at 8:00 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Hi at all
>>
>> the Germanophone page http://de.openoffice.org looks ugly and is compleetly
>> outdate. There is also a load of material who does not fit for Apache
>> Server. The site is heighly visited, and provide not a good impression right
>
> I can confirm that this is one of the most-popular pages.  Google
> reports that based on search traffic, the 20 most popular pages at
> openoffice.org are:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/
> http://www.openoffice.org/de/
> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/
> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/about-downloads.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/es/
> http://www.openoffice.org/it/
> http://www.openoffice.org/ja/
> http://www.openoffice.org/it/download/
> http://www.openoffice.org/de/downloads/

Note that the downloads are also in the NL site.

> http://www.openoffice.org/pl/
> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/
> http://www.openoffice.org/pl/product.download.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/product/writer.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/p2p/
> http://www.openoffice.org/ru/
> http://www.openoffice.org/sv/
> http://www.openoffice.org/es/programa/
>
> So the German site is the most popular of the NL sites.
>
>> now. I see more work if we rework this page as if we start from zero. I
>> beleve that less is more, and so I like to start with a simple page with
>> information about:
>>
>> - The Apache OpenOffice (incubator) project
>> - The upcomming Apache OpenOffice
>> - and how to help.
>>
>> What do you think about... better options?
>>

> Would it help to translate the main content from the English homepage?
> That way we can try to keep them in sync going forward.

A good idea. I plan to work on improving the main page in the following ways:

(1) Make news into an mdtext and SSI include.
(2) Make the button content into mdtext with narrower buttons.

Do similar for downloads.

(3) Make righthand links into rightnav.mdtext
(4) Make the button content into mdtext with narrower buttons.

For NL, I am ready to handle NL versions of the topnav.

This will mean that each NL site will have the following mdtext

index.mdtext
news.mdtext
topnav.mdtext
download/index.mdtext
download/rightnav.mdtext

> For example, have the same news stories that we have on the right of
> the English home page.

Exactly.

Working on a DE versions of topnav.mdtext, news, download's rightnav will help decide which
pages need to be translated vs. referring to the English version.

I'm happy to assist, but rather busy. If someone wants to raise their hand then I'll help
them understand the latest transitions which have made navigation and header changes much
less painful and possible with the CMS.

Regards,
Dave