incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject Committers and Alias.txt
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:30:31 GMT
There is a committer-community maintained file called Alias.txt.

This is a private file that requires logon by a committer's SVN credentials to accessed.
The file was recently moved to <https://id.apache.org/info/MailAlias.txt>.

This file is where a committer can list all e-mail addresses that they want to be recognized
as aliases for their <committerID>@apache.org e-mail address.

For example, here is one of the entries for my Apache ID:

    orcmid@apache.org,dennis.hamilton@acm.org,member=no

This list is very important for the reliable identification of committers on the Apache OpenOffice
project.  Essentially, the initial association of a committer and their identity is with the
e-mail address supplied on the iCLA submission.  The best authentication for an established
committer is via their use of the Apache User Name/ID.  However, not everyone is able to send
mail using their @apache.org address in the From: entry.

Any committer communications using any other e-mail addresses will not be authenticated as
being from them unless the alternative e-mail address is provided in an Alias.txt entry.
(Even then, it involves manual checking of Alias.txt.)

When committers are established, I refer new committers to the documentation about Alias.txt
and how to add entries for their own aliases.

I no longer know what that procedure is or where instructions can be found.

Can anyone advise me?

Has any recently-established committer received information about this in their notification
from root@ a.o?

Is there some list all committers should be subscribed to so that awareness of such procedures
is maintained?

 - Dennis