incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [WWW] Feedback/"contact us" about the website link needed...
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:30:31 GMT
I agree with Kay that one reason someone may want to contact us is because there is a problem
with the web site itself.  I also think that going directly to the mailing list page is perhaps
too abrupt.  Some free analysis from the top of orcmid's head:

For issues about the site(s) itself, I think a bottom-of-page link is fine.  It might go to
another web page that refines the contact based on particular cases (two that should always
be prominent and straightforward are for the site and for anything to do with security concerns
-- but not directly to ooo-security.).

With user issues, taking people directly to bugzilla is effectively a giant FU for ordinary
users.  A bullet item that links to how to file a bug and also links directly to bugzilla
is good, so experts don't have to do the drill-down.  (Might need a branch for those needing
a bugzilla account too.) [Something like this might help refine the security case as well.]

Then I think there can be explanation that all other support is peer support from other users
and developer volunteers, with some indication about the options (wiki, forums, web site,
mailing-list subscriptions, and bugzilla) and how to search/explore/choose among them.  This
would probably be right after something about web site issues and security concerns.

Third tier on some of these might be FAQ that provide more detail and help users address common
concerns.  (I.e., what to do when an AV product says their download is infected, what the
project does to ensure the integrity of binaries and how to find those to be confident in
them, how to check their authenticity, etc.  That's been going around lately.)

Finally, of course, there is always the welcoming of those who might want to themselves contribute
to an aspect that is a concern or interest for them.

I suppose I should put myself in this last category, although I am not prepared to figure
out how to work on such a page [set]. Sorry.

 - Dennis