incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: ANONYMOUS CMS ACCESS (was Re: Bad Link on OOO API Web Page)
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 19:45:36 GMT
I finally nerved-up to figure out how to make the bookmarklet work in IE 9. It took a little
effort, but I managed it.

It is an interesting way to tell that a web page was published via the CMS, or not.

Having looked around a little, I can understand why there are not many folks who have the
confidence and willingness to work on the site this way.  For folks who want to support the
project via web, wiki, and forum contributions, the learning curve and conceptual understanding
of the workflow is daunting.  Not having commit karma adds to that for those who might be
willing to dive in regardless.

For those of us who have the nerve and the karma, there remains the question of individual
priorities and willingness to go through what it takes to become fluent with this particular
arrangement.

There are three kinds of proficiency required: (1) fluency with the tool chain, (2) comprehension
of the site organization and conventions with regard to its content, and (3) the practices
that are part of the DNA of the Apache [OpenOffice] development community.  We don't all bring
the necessary combination of fearlessness, willingness, and existing experience.

 - Dennis

FURTHER OBSERVATIONS

 1. I made the bookmarklet the hard way.  Even then, getting it onto my toolbar for easy use
was not possible until I enabled the IE Favorites Bar.  That is not something I ordinarily
use.  It is different than the full set of bookmarks/favorites available on the menu bar,
something I continue to use by personal preference.  But once I enabled the IE Favorites Bar,
I could drag the successfully-manufactured shortcut there.  Now it is handily available at
the top of my browser window.

 2. My personal reaction is that I want to be able to use my desktop tools, including WYSIWYG
HTML editors as well as good HTML-level text editors, to do any maintenance work on the site.
 In-browser editing is not productive for me.  When I am doing substantial wiki work, I compose
off-line and paste into the wiki editor instead of rely on the in-browser submission of wikiText.
 I even use separate revision control systems to back up my work when I do that.  Using the
Apache SVN and Markdown is an use-case that works, except for not being able to proof the
result immediately.

 3. I think that means using working copies from the SVN repo in my case.  That makes it is
easier for me to recover or repair any miss-step, and that is important for my contribution
to any production system.

Either way, there is considerable tacit knowledge required to operate reliably and with confidence
with this material, especially at the rather raw level at which much of the ooo-site content
is seen.  Understanding the workflow from SVN to staging to production and how to operate
with that is the next challenge.

If I were not a committer, I would not even consider doing everything needed to submit a patch
in order to fix a page.

As a committer whose expertise is not with this particular setup, I might consider submitting
a patch anyhow, since I know how easy it is to make them in my SVN working copy.