incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Integration of my chart features
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 06:57:40 GMT
If Regina were the LO committer or the creator of the patches that were committed, it would
be accomplished by her saying "take them."  I agree that she hasn't done that.  Furthermore,
Eike committed the patches.  So there needs to be other avenues in order to integrate her
chart features in OOo.  It is inappropriate to ask anything further of Regina with regard
to the LO code.

My view is that the LO commits are off limits and it is best to not even look at them.

If Eike has the right to commit those patches anywhere he chooses, he can do it here: He is
an Apache OpenOffice committer, after all.

Absent that, AOO should start from Regina's proposal for the features, once she provides it,
and come up with AOO implementations.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 19:50
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: Integration of my chart features

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> If Regina has the right to submit the patches anywhere of her choosing, it seems to me
that her submitting them here is automatically covered by her iCLA, no matter what equivalent
statement she has made to the TDF (where the equivalent of an iCLA is an e-mail declaration).

> I agree, it is generally not prudent for us to assume that it is all right to make our
own patches from commits made to LO.  So long as the LO commits identify Regina as the committer
or as the submitter, and she has explicitly contributed them to us here, as in the note to
Armin, that should connect all of the dots.  The ceremony about asserting ALv2 licensing is
what someone who has no iCLA would be expected to do.  It seems very redundant in this case.
 No harm, just redundant.

Show me where she has stated that they are contributed to Apache?  I
don't see it.   What I do see is this:

"in LibreOffice 3.5 some chart features which I have written are
integrated. See
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5#Calc items Cubic
Spline, B-Spline, data point markers, and standard palette.

I hope you agree, that they should go into AOO too. When can this happen?"

and then in the later post:

"I have listed the relevant LO commits below. Is it possible to use
that directly? If not, you can at least have look, what they contain."

I don't think that is sufficient.  Do you?

[ ... ]

I don't see a contribution here.  Do you?  I see a discussion about a
contribution, certainly, and questions about whether a contribution
would be welcome, but I don't see anything that has been
"intentionally submitted".

I'd urge us to take the extra effort to take this one millimeter
further and actually have this be a contribution.

Regards,

-Rob