incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Integration of my chart features
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 02:44:50 GMT
If Regina has the right to submit the patches anywhere of her choosing, it seems to me that
her submitting them here is automatically covered by her iCLA, no matter what equivalent statement
she has made to the TDF (where the equivalent of an iCLA is an e-mail declaration).

I agree, it is generally not prudent for us to assume that it is all right to make our own
patches from commits made to LO.  So long as the LO commits identify Regina as the committer
or as the submitter, and she has explicitly contributed them to us here, as in the note to
Armin, that should connect all of the dots.  The ceremony about asserting ALv2 licensing is
what someone who has no iCLA would be expected to do.  It seems very redundant in this case.
 No harm, just redundant.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 16:33
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Integration of my chart features

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Regina Henschel
<rb.henschel@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi Armin,
>
> I have listed the relevant LO commits below. Is it possible to use that
> directly? If not, you can at least have look, what they contain.

If this is your code, you can give it to whomever you want.  But we
(this project) need to be clear what the license is.  When you gave
the patch to LO you presumably gave it under LPGL/MPL.   For AOO we
need it under ALv2.

The normal way of doing this would be to create the patch files and
either send them to the list or attach them to a BZ issue.

Another approach, one that would satisfy me, since you've signed the
ICLA, is a note to the list from you saying something like "I
contribute the following patches to the Apache OpenOffice project
under the Apache 2.0 license" and then list the specific commits.
You just need to be explicit about the license so we have that for the
record.

Thanks!

-Rob