incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: What if any responsibility will Apache OpenOffice have with regards to legacy software
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:39:32 GMT

On Jan 2, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I own a couple of HP computers, one of which a Mini 110 includes a HP
>> specific Linux distro (Mi) which came pre-installed.
>>
>> The other day the system performed an update from the Mi reposotories,
>> including a new version of OpenOffice.org - an update to version 2.4...
>>
>> So, back to my subject line.
>>
>> Just a general question.
>>

> Responsibility in what sense?  Anyone is welcome to ask questions on
> the user list and support forums for questions related to OOo and
> related products.  This is a free service, provided by the community,
> not a "responsibility".
>
> There is no warranty provided with OOo or AOO releases, unless that
> warranty comes from some company.  If so, that company may have
> responsibilities with regards to legacy OOo releases.  But that is not
> our concern.
>
> From a community perspective, not a contractual one, I think we "owe
> it to the community" to provide an upgrade path for as many legacy
> users as possible.  This probably includes a clean upgrade path for
> 2.4 users as well.

I don't see any reason that we would drop access to legacy releases on openoffice.org and
we have been allowed to put legacy distros into archives.apache.org.

I don't think we update www.openoffice.org to full Apache OpenOffice branding until we either
have a long term plan or we have an AOO 3.4 release.

REgards,
DAve