incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 19:49:36 GMT

On Jan 6, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Andrew Rist wrote:

> +1
>
>   - short-medium term stabilise the extensions code and hosting
>   - long term move to a federated approach
>
> I think this is indeed the growing consensus.  I support moving forward with SF in negotiating
an approach that conforms to the boundaries you describe below and lead us in this direction.

Agreed that this is the general consensus. I think that these are different threads of conversation.

One thread is the MOU with SF defining what a stable E & T requires including dealing
with the loss of the Oracle based user registrations on which it still depends.

The second thread is what does the federated approach look-like. Jürgen has provided some
of what is already supported. I think we need a page somewhere to show the existing structure.
We can't proceed intelligently without real choices clearly presented. Otherwise we are talking
generalities, or making decisions based on our perceptions of policy boundaries and not technical
merit. The fastest approach to graduation might not be the best approach for the whole ecosystem.

While we are on the topic of externally hosted services last week Rory Flatscher was happy
to report that codesnippets.s.oo.o was still functional. This is an externally hosted site
at BestSolutions@ ...

Regards,
Dave