incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 18:14:44 GMT
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<arielch@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 09:18:07AM +0100, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
>> We should keep in mind that for many extension developers it's
>> probably ok to create a SF, GoogleCode or whatever project to host
>> the extension code and the binary. But i believe that there are also
>> many developers who simply want to put there macro collection in an
>> extension container with the necessary meta data and want share it
>> with others. Means they simply want to upload it for broader
>> availability without creating their own project or the necessity to
>> have their own webspace for hosting the binary extension.
>>
>> And i think this is even more important for templates. People create
>> a nice template and would ideally be able to upload it directly from
>> the office. Ok for upload we would need some kind of registration
>> and authentication to do that. But that would be very convenient for
>> users.
>
> not only templates, there is a whole set of NON-CODE extensions, that is
> you do not need to be a developer nor write any code to build very
> useful extensions!
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Non-code_extensions
>
> You can not expect those "extension creators" (new term, as they are not
> developers in the sense of developing source code) to create a SF
> project or the like.

This is all true, but really orthogonal to the point.  I agree that we
need a simplified interface for providing templates, etc.  These are
users, maybe power uses, but they are not going to use SVN/Hg/git or
be patient with complicated procedures to upload a template. It should
be easy, like uploading a photo to your Facebook page.

But that is just user interface.  From the data perspective, you can
still have -- and I think we still should have -- a clean separation
between a repository of extensions or templates, a catalog of
extensions or templates, and an interface for doing a federated search
of multiple catalogs of extensions or templates.  It is not an
either/or situation.

-Rob