incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What if any responsibility will Apache OpenOffice have with regards to legacy software
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:31:29 GMT
On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I own a couple of HP computers, one of which a Mini 110 includes a HP
> specific Linux distro (Mi) which came pre-installed.
>
> The other day the system performed an update from the Mi reposotories,
> including a new version of OpenOffice.org - an update to version 2.4...
>
> So, back to my subject line.
>
> Just a general question.

Responsibility in what sense?  Anyone is welcome to ask questions on
the user list and support forums for questions related to OOo and
related products.  This is a free service, provided by the community,
not a "responsibility".

There is no warranty provided with OOo or AOO releases, unless that
warranty comes from some company.  If so, that company may have
responsibilities with regards to legacy OOo releases.  But that is not
our concern.

>From a community perspective, not a contractual one, I think we "owe
it to the community" to provide an upgrade path for as many legacy
users as possible.  This probably includes a clean upgrade path for
2.4 users as well.

-Rob