incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: May I use "OpenOffice.org" and "Apache Incubator" logos on OpenOffice.org CD
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:18:16 GMT
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Kazunari Hirano <khirano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, Hirano-san!

> Please take a look at the following page.
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/JA/Marketing/OpenOffice.org_CD/
>
> May I use "OpenOffice.org" and "Apache Incubator" logos on OpenOffice.org CD?

I assume the CD contains OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 for Windows?  Is there
anything else on the CD?

This looks like a very good project, and I think the PPMC should be
proud to be associated with this effort.

The relevant policy is the one here under "Using Apache trademarks on
merchandise":

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

"You must obtain prior written approval from the VP, Apache Brand
Management to apply the "Apache", "Apache Foo" or "Foo" trademarks or
their graphic logos to any merchandise that is intended to be
associated in people's minds with Apache Foo software or any Apache
software.

Permission to apply ASF trademarks (including graphic logos) may be
granted for merchandise that promotes the Apache Software Foundation,
the Apache Foo project and Foo software.

Permission to apply ASF trademarks will ordinarily be denied for
merchandise that disparages Apache software or projects or that would
serve to detract from the value of Apache software and its brands."

I think your proposed use of the OpenOffice.org logo meets the above
requirements.  So +1 from me for the use of the OpenOffice.org logo.

For the Apache Incubator logo, that is not something the AOO PPMC
controls.  I do not know what the policy is for that.  You might need
to send a separate note to trademarks@apache.org about this, or maybe
general@incubator.apache,org.

As we've done in the past, we seek lazy consensus from the PPMC on
these requests and then send our recommendation to the Branding VP
(Shane) for the final decision. So let's wait 72-hours and see if
there are any concerns.

Regards,

-Rob