incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving ahead with the AOO logo and rebranding
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:22:11 GMT
On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 03:55 +1300, Graham Lauder wrote:

>> > Our ability to use such a logo would depend on the specific terms of
>> > the font license.
>> >
>> > But in general, a commercial font license might lead to restrictions
>> > on how we redistribute images using the font.  For example, we might
>> > only be able to redistribute rasterized bitmaps of a logo, but not a
>> > scalable vector image that included a font glyph definition as well.
>> > A commercial font might also restrict who in the project is able to
>> > modify the logo or create derivative logos for the benefit of the
>> > project.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure any of these are killer objections to the use of a
>> > commercial font.  But I think we'd want a strong design reason for not
>> > using a font with few or no restrictions.
>>
>> +1, the old font was a commercial one: Frutiger, which caused all sorts of
>> issues when being used by the community Artists.  There are plenty of similar
>> fonts about.  The "best" solution was Liberation Sans at 60% IIRC.  But that
>> was just to try and maintain the old logo look as close as possible.
>>
>> My personal opinion is; if we can't bundle the font with the software then we
>> shouldn't use it.    Of course, it should be added there is absolutely no
>> reason why a font should be used at all in the main logo. Taglines and
>> positioners perhaps and a free font should be used in things such as
>> splashscreens, but the logo can be a graphic that looks like text.  I've added
>> a couple of proposals based on a graphic that was created in a vector editor,
>> no fonts used, created as needed.
>
> On that last point I agree - and I suppose I started all this my
> mentioning which font I used - the final is not font based, it is
> paths...

If we don't need to scale the logo, then that is fine.  But text -- at
least with high quality fonts -- is not scaled proportionately in the
way you would a simple SVG shape.  In order to preserve a pleasing,
balanced appearance at small and large sizes, real fonts do much more
complicated things, e.g. "manual hinting".

If we want to have the optimal appearance, at various scales, then we
may need to take this into account.