incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [code] 4.x Feature planning: MTL proposal
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:24:21 GMT
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Just thought I'd share my plan here :).
>
> As many of you have noticed, I proposed adding Matrix Template
> Library to OpenOffice's calc.
> http://osl.iu.edu/research/mtl/mtl2.php3
>
> I am still undecided whether using MTL2 or MTL4 (MTL4 seems to
> use Boost) but at first glance bringing this in should not be
> difficult and it may just be a matter of having calc use the
> new classes for the underlying operations. This may also
> prove useful for UNO extensions.
>
> Adding MTL can probably be done without having any impact on
> the end user but I don't really know Calc well enough and
> I think our Calc experts will be very busy bringing in code
> from Symphony so I will move this proposal from 4.0 to 4.1.

How would this be exposed in Calc?  Are you thinking of having it
handle the matrix spreadsheet functions like MMULT() and MINVERSE()?
Or were you thinking of exposing some more advanced functions or
tools, like eigenvectors/eigenvalues calculations?

It would be good to understand the advantages of changes the code
here.  I assume it would be for better performance with large
spreadsheets, especially now that OOo supports 1 million rows of data.