incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [WWW] rebranding...
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 23:16:36 GMT
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Kay Schenk <> wrote:
> OK, we got to see the new logo and a bit of a discussion has ensued re the
> now Apache hosted and the existing logo on that
> site.
> My question concerns the extent of "future" rebranding.

Evolution-wise, at some point we'll have a logo without the
"incubating" in it. Hopefully we can slow the pace of branding changes
after that ;-)

> yes, it's pretty easy to just change out the logo, but should anticipate
> changing out ALL occurrences of to "Apache OpenOffice" as
> well?

I would not do a batch search and replace of to Apache

A few considerations (these are my opinions only, of course):

1) Some places legitimately should be called, e.g.,
references to legacy downloads, documentation for legacy releases,
etc. 3.3.0 did not magically become Apache OpenOffice
3.3.0.  It is still

2) If we're discussing historical information, like the history of the
project, then we would still use in that context, just
as we still refer to "StarOffice".

3) I would not change something that is considered a "record", like a
past communication or letter or email or press release, etc.  If
something was an authorized communication of the project, we should
respect the words it used at the time.

4) But in general, we want to be consistent in the new branding as
"Apache OpenOffice".   It should be clear to a user that this is the
branding and any other use should be a historical context.

5) It should be fine to refer to "Apache OpenOffice" initially on any
given page and then unambiguously refer to "OpenOffice" for
repetitions.  We don't need to use the full form over and over and
over again on the same page.  But we should use the full form on the
first occurrence on a page.

6) Maybe just start with the logo, the page footer and prominent other
pages, e.g., the blog, top level navigation on the website, how to get
involved, etc.  I don't see much value in "hunting" for millions of
occurrences of "".  But maybe we can search for all
<title> and <h1>'s that use that term?

> Thoughts on this?
> --
> MzK
> "You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends
>  with strange cats."
>                                                  -- *Colonial
> proverb*

View raw message