incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving ahead with the AOO logo and rebranding
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 03:07:59 GMT
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 13:58 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> > A month ago Drew sent a logo proposal to the ooo-marketing list.  It
>> > has been discussed and iterated on that list.  The current state of
>> > the proposal is on the wiki:
>> >
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal
>> >
>> > Personally I think this is fine work, and since we've received no
>> > counter-proposals in the last month, we should go ahead and update the
>> > splash screen and website with the new logo.  That's my opinion.
>> > However, others have suggested we take a RTC approach to this.  So be
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Please review the logo proposal on the above wiki page.  If you have a
>> > counter proposal now, or if you intend to make a counter-proposal but
>> > need more time, then please speak up.  But if there are no other
>> > proposals, then we have lazy consensus.
>> >

>> We now have more than one logo proposal.  So I'll withdraw my proposal
>> to move forward with Drew's logo (the only one we had at the time).
>>
>> Would it be worth at this point, having a public call for proposals on
>> the logo?  Maybe advertise with a blog post?  Give a month or two to
>> collect responses, then we vote?
>
> Howdy Rob,
>
> Well, my last email to you I think was the one saying I thought the logo
> change on the website should hold of till a Developer Snapshot build had
> the same graphic change..so of course I agree, it would not hurt to try
> and gather further proposals.
>
> Ok - how long? Let me flip it around, how long do you think before there
> would be a binary download available from the developer snapshot link on
> the website? How much run up time do you want for the graphics files for
> that build? (that can pretty darn slim, can't it)

I assume you mean this page:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/next/

It is something we need to discuss.  That website, as we've discussed
before, is intended to be user facing, as compared to the podling site
which is more project/PPMC facing.  We need to be careful about
putting code out on the user-facing site before we've actually have an
IPMC release.  We need to avoid making it look like a release by
another name.  Maybe instead we only advertise dev snapshots on the
podling page?  And keep it very low key.

In any case, I think we are very close to having regular dev-provided
snapshots builds. (We have irregular builds already)  But I'm not sure
how much longer before we have regular automated builds on all
platforms.

But I look at it more like this -- now that we're past the holidays,
how long would it take a volunteer, with a busy life outside of
Apache, to put together a logo proposal if they had an interest in
doing so?  It seems to me that 2-3 weeks is sufficient.