incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 17:56:22 GMT
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 6 January 2012 16:31, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Ross Gardler
>> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

>>> That is not a correct summary of the ASFs position. We do not
>>> *develop* software that is under any licence other than ALv2 (go to
>>> apache-extras). As far as I understand it the extensions site does not
>>> provide development support.
>>>
>>> We do not distribute incompatibly licensed code that might restrict
>>> the rights of our downstream users to *modify* the source of our
>>> projects. Since none of the extensions will be bundled with AOO
>>> releases this is not relevant.
>>>

>> You seem to be saying that anything not forbidden may be allowed.
>
> No, I'm saying that as a mentor of the AOO podling, as a long standing Member of The
Apache Software Foundation and as a current VP of the foundation I believe that I have a pretty
good feel for why things are the way they are. This allows me to, with reasonable confidence,
guess at what would be allowed and what would not.

As always, thanks Ross for your mentor's wise words of advise.  But I
personally am having difficulties determining sometimes whether you
are merely giving mentorly advice versus actively advocating, like a
PMC member, for one particular outcome over another.   If your intent
really is to argue against the SF proposal (which is how it looks to
me) then maybe we can just get a clean, unadorned argument for that
position, one with fewer hats.  So far I've seen no one else but you
argue that position, so it would be good for the overall discussion to
hear it, from you personally.  I think that would be allowed,  right?

> At the very least, I know the boundaries of my knowledge and I know who to ask once I
know what to ask. Hence this thread.