incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 18:23:41 GMT
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Ross Gardler
>> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

>>> No, I'm saying that as a mentor of the AOO podling, as a long standing Member
of The Apache Software Foundation and as a current VP of the foundation I believe that I have
a pretty good feel for why things are the way they are. This allows me to, with reasonable
confidence, guess at what would be allowed and what would not.

>> As always, thanks Ross for your mentor's wise words of advise.  But I
>> personally am having difficulties determining sometimes whether you
>> are merely giving mentorly advice versus actively advocating, like a
>> PMC member, for one particular outcome over another.   If your intent
>> really is to argue against the SF proposal (which is how it looks to
>> me) then maybe we can just get a clean, unadorned argument for that
>> position, one with fewer hats.  So far I've seen no one else but you
>> argue that position, so it would be good for the overall discussion to
>> hear it, from you personally.  I think that would be allowed,  right?
>
> I'm reading this thread. The message is that ASF policy is flexible to a certain extent.
It is not like a corporation's policy which is likely to be bureaucratically inflexible. Rob,
would you please try to get used to that ;-)

It is very easy Dave, to dismiss someone who works for a large
corporation by suggesting that they are bureaucratic and inflexible
and otherwise have a defective thinking process.  This slur is a form
of personal attack and I suggest you (and others) drop it.

No one has questioned whether or not we can appeal to the IPMC or the
ASF Board and change policy.  This is obviously possible.  But it
obviously requires time, effort and has an uncertain outcome.  So
let's not say it is impossible.  But let's also not say it is the only
path, or even the easiest path.

> The proposal is now somewhat buried in this long thread.
>
> There are issues to decide.
>
> (1) What is the AOO vision of extensions, templates in the longer term (or even AOO 3.4)?
>
> (2) How do we get Extensions and Templates stable?
>
> (3) How do we disconnect E and T from using Oracle infrastructure for userids and passwords?
>

>>> At the very least, I know the boundaries of my knowledge and I know who to ask
once I know what to ask. Hence this thread.