incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question related derivative code based on our Apache licensed code
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:07:03 GMT
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 03:51:26PM -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, there is nothing that would prevent an
>> individual developer from submitting a patch to this mailing list or
>> to the LO mailing list and saying it was available AL2 or MPL/LGPL at
>> the receiver's election.
>
> Only if you are willing to ignore the rights of previous contributors upon
> whose work the patch is based and who contributed their work as MPL/LGPL/GPL.

That's the wonderful thing about a patch.  It is just a delta.  So
long as the patch itself is original work, then the patch can be
contributed without violating anyone's license, and can be applied to
AOO without violating anyone's license.

Of course, if someone is patching a feature that only exists in LO,
then creating a pure patch for AOO may not be possible.  But I assure
you that I am only interested in what is possible ;-)

> Some LibreOffice contributors care very much about not carelessly giving away
> their contribution AL-licensed, while others contribute to the LibreOffice
> project for its openness, features and agility. Mutual respect requires to
> respect the wishes of contributors caring about the license, which was one
> important founding principles of the project, as well as we care for the other
> values put down in the manifesto of the document foundation.

That "mutual respect" argument can take you in strange places.  For
example, if a LibreOffice contributor modifies a file that was
originally authored by someone who is now an Apache OpenOffice
contributor, then shouldn't they put that file under ALv2, in order to
"respect the wishes of contributors caring about the license"?

-Rob