incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:25:31 GMT
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> As the community know Gav, in his role at infrastructure@ has
> undertaken to stabilise and migrate the AOO extensions code to ASF
> infrastructure. His work has been progressing and he remains committed
> to completing this.
>
> However, as some know Sourceforge made an offer to help via our
> private list. At the time they did not want to discuss this topic in
> public for a number of reasons. I've had a couple of chats with
> Roberto Gallopini and Jeff Drobick in order to help them understand
> why the ASF prefers to host all services for its projects. In response
> SF have tailored their offer of support.

Thanks for the wonderful job of reaching out to SourceForge and
connecting us to this offer, Ross.

> I relayed the outline of our conversations to the infrastructure team
> who have asked me to have the AOO project provide some feedback, via a
> board report, on what problems the AOO project forsee for the
> extensions site and what options are available, if possible a
> recommendation for an optimal solution should also be made. Note that
> we can submit something out of cycle if we want, the next full report
> is not due till March.

This has already been discussed, in detail in a previous thread:

http://markmail.org/message/sm57zvd5gnblxpo6

I believe that discussion is what prompted Gavin to action.  If
someone wants to copy and paste that into a Board report, then they
are welcome to do so.

> The reason infra@ have escalated to board@ is probably that we need to
> figure out a long term solution for the AOO project and that solution
> is heavily influenced by ASF policy. Any solution that we are
> currently considering will have an impact on the AOO extensions site
> and/or on ASF policy.
>
> The current situation, as I understand it, is that the board have
> given permission for the extensions site to be managed by infra during
> incubation. The problem of distributing content under licences other
> than Apache is not seen to be a problem during the incubation process.
> Beyond incubation the board has delegated responsibility to the
> Incubator PMC. I don't believe that particular discussion has been
> started yet.
>
> Gav tells us that he has been thinking about making the extensions
> site an index site, thus allowing the extensions to be housed
> elsewhere (apache-extras, sourceforge, google code, github, FooBar
> corporation or wherever). This would neatly bypass the licence
> problem. Open source extensions needing hosting could go to
> apache-extras while commercially licensed extensions would need to
> provide their own hosting.

That was my recommendation as well, in the previous thread referenced
above.  It is more work up front, but the resulting "directory" of
links and metadata associated with extensions (and templates -- don't
forget the templates) is very flexible.

> An alternative is to work with a third party willing to help. I've
> copied below the text of a mail outlining the SF proposal. You will
> note that they are keen to ensure that we don't get locked into the SF
> services. Nevertheless, one of the reasons the ASF hosts its own
> services is to avoid exposing us to unmanageable risk.

This doesn't necessarily need to be an either/or decision.  We could
decide to host the canonical directory of extensions/templates, and SF
hold host a prominent repository of some of the actual extensions.

We also need to get out of the mindset of there being only one
extension repository, or even one extension directory, and instead
think of a federated approach.  Remember, in an ecosystem with
downstream consumers and enterprise deployments,  there will typically
be internal-only corporate repositories as well as distro-specific
ones, as well as possible directories and repositories from AOO (ones
that are project releases under ALv2).  So I'd recommend we think of
the problem as being more about protocols and formats for describing
and advertising (from a web services perspective) extensions.  On top
of that an ecosystem of repositories and directories would emerge.

So:

Short term -- stabilize what we have.  Whether at Apache or SF, I
offer no opinion.

Long term -- take the federated approach.  In this approach we will
want a host for the non-ALv2 extensions, so SF's offer makes sense
there.

Maybe the short-term offer from them for stabilization could migrate,
over time, for them to be a core repository in the eventual federated
approach?

-Rob