incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NOTICE, LICENSE, README etc.
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:31:07 GMT
2012/1/9 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to get an overview about the current state in an installed office
> and the process of generating localized LICENSE files, README and how the
> THIRSPARTYLICENSEREADME.html comes into the game...
>
> Current situation on a
>
> MacOS system
> ============
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE.hmtl
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README.html
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/basis-link/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>
> Window system
> =============
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/license.html
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/license.txt
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.html
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.txt
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.html
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.txt
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>
> readme files are always the same, readme.[txt|html] = readme.[txt|html]
>
> Linux System
> ============
> /org/openoffice.org/LICENSE
> /org/openoffice.org/LICENSE.hmtl
> /org/openoffice.org/README
> /org/openoffice.org/README.html
> /org/openoffice.org/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>

> The input for these files comes from the main/readlicense_oo module
>
> LICENSE
> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.html
> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.txt
> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.rtf
>
> README
> readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm
>
> the "plattform" specific README will be generated out of the readme.xrm file
> . Well don't ask why it is done this way. It looks quite complicate ...
>
> THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME
> readlicense_oo/html/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>

> I can't really find any information on [1] if we need localized versions of
> the LICENSE, NOTICE, README files.

We're not required to translate these files and I'd advise against
doing this at least in the case of the LICENSE and NOTICE files.   It
is impossible to translate a license without applying our own
interpretation of that license.  That is like giving legal advice
then. We should not being doing that.

The README file is another story, and I'd be open to a different story there.

But how does README differ from the Release Notes?  Do we currently
have both and translate both?

> The whole process in the office is a little bit more complex today and it
> raised some questions for me.
>
> 1. Do we want to keep localized versions of these files, or do we need them?

I'd keep the required legal files (LICENSE and NOTICE) in their
original form (English).

For README, we need to consider the audience.  We will have source and
binary packages.  For source packages, the README should be covering
build pre-reqs, build flags, how to submit patches, generally a
programmer-oriented README.  For the binary package, the README is
admin and end-user oriented.

> 2. Should we simply create one README for all or one for each plattform and
> should check in this directly?

That could be fine.

> 3. is related to the existing LICENSE [2] file in our source main directory.
> In line 190 we have
> ###
> Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]
> ###
>
> How does it have to be for a release? I assume something like
> ###
> Copyright 2011 Apache Software Foundation
> ###

I don't think we change line 190.  That is instructions for someone
who wants to add ALv2 to their own code.

> 4. THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl has to be merged into NOTICE (or already
> had)

Most of THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME will go into LICENSE.    That is where
we aggregate the licenses for all of the code that we include in the
release.  Since we're including additional libraries in the binary
package that are not included in the source package, this probably
means that we will have two different LICENSE and NOTICE files that we
will need to rename and package at build time, depending on whether we
are building a binary package or a source package.

NOTICE is for any required notice that the 3rd party license requires
us to make.  It does not include the full text of the license.  For
example, a license might require that we include a link to where
someone can download the source code of the component.  We'd put that
in NOTICE.  And the Oracle copyright that Andrew is removing from
source files, that would move into NOTICE as well.

-Rob