incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Real life preview of some of the proposed images
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:01:24 GMT
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<arielch@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 05:31:20PM +0100, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> for the dev builds I plan to provide (asap) I have simply used
>> Drew's proposals, added some of by my own and have built a Mac
>> version.
>>
>> I have some minor problems with the OOo-Dev dmg installer background
>> images where I am working on. But ou can get a first impression how
>> would look like under
>>
>> Backing window + About box
>> http://people.apache.org/~jsc/screenshots/backing_window-about.png
>>
>> Intro image
>> http://people.apache.org/~jsc/screenshots/intro.png
>>
>> MacOS dmg background
>> http://people.apache.org/~jsc/screenshots/mac_install_dmg.png
>> well the quality of this image is too bad right now and I will try
>> to improve it. But I know Drew will give me support ;-)
>>
>> Juergen
>

> they look nice. I wonder if "Incubating" is required there. This is an
> Apache jargon, I doubt it would have any sense for English speaking
> users; and more problematic for non-English speaking user: the text is
> not localized. IMO "Incubating" only adds more confusion to the already
> existing confusion in our user base. If this is not an Apache
> requirement, it would be nice to remove it from the logos.

I was thinking something similar.   If we can leave "incubating" out
of the logo, and just give the required language, in text, in the
dialog, then we do not need to change the logo when we graduate.  I
don't think it makes sense to mix the "status" of the project with the
"brand" of the project.  The status of a podling is meant to let users
and visitors to our website know that the project may not have all the
qualities of a TLP at Apache, in terms of maturity.  But that is not
our brand.