incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Category-B tarballs in SVN (was Re: External libraries)
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:23:10 GMT
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 13 January 2012 00:09, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Ross Gardler
>> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

>>> See the reply I just posted pointing to a conversation you instigated
>>> on this very issue on legal-discuss. That thread is certainly not a
>>> "no", but it is certainly not a "yes" either. The conversation needs
>>> finishing.
>>>

>> The thread went much further than what you quoted there, Ross,
>> including the quote I gave where it was stated that this was OK.
>
> Really? Then markmail is not showing the full thread. Can you provide
> a direct link to that mail, all I am seeing is at
> http://markmail.org/thread/6odbj2isrq3jqg6g there is no OK in there.
>
> I don't see anything else in the ASF archves either, the start of the
> thread is at http://s.apache.org/B1L
>
> What am I missing?

What I said in my earlier note -- the thread was partially on
legal-discuss and partially on ooo-dev.  Robert came over to ooo-dev
to continue the discussion directly with the project.  Probably the
best way to get it in coherent form, if your mail client doesn't piece
cross-list threads together, is to search MarkMail for "Clarification
on treatment of "weak copyleft" components"

And if you can give me a link to the relevant Apache policy on this,
I'd much appreciate that as well.  It is rather hard to ask for a
policy to be changed, or ask for an exception to a policy, or even to
ask for a policy to be explained, if no one can actually find it.
Saying "we've never done that before" is not an argument from policy.
It is an argument from inexperience.  If you'll acknowledge that there
is no policy for this, then that would serve to clear the air on that
particular point and then we could ask for some policy parameters in
this area.