incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving ahead with the AOO logo and rebranding
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 18:58:14 GMT
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> A month ago Drew sent a logo proposal to the ooo-marketing list.  It
> has been discussed and iterated on that list.  The current state of
> the proposal is on the wiki:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal
>
> Personally I think this is fine work, and since we've received no
> counter-proposals in the last month, we should go ahead and update the
> splash screen and website with the new logo.  That's my opinion.
> However, others have suggested we take a RTC approach to this.  So be
> it.
>
> Please review the logo proposal on the above wiki page.  If you have a
> counter proposal now, or if you intend to make a counter-proposal but
> need more time, then please speak up.  But if there are no other
> proposals, then we have lazy consensus.

We now have more than one logo proposal.  So I'll withdraw my proposal
to move forward with Drew's logo (the only one we had at the time).

Would it be worth at this point, having a public call for proposals on
the logo?  Maybe advertise with a blog post?  Give a month or two to
collect responses, then we vote?

If we did that, we'd probably want to start with some logo
requirements first, things like:

-- Must say Apache OpenOffice (TM)
-- Must include "incubating"
-- Must be in SVG format
-- Must be readable in both color and monochrome
-- Must be available in the following sizes
-- Must use freely available fonts

(Those are examples only.  We might drop, modify or add similar
requirements.  The point is we probably want to encourage proposals to
conform to  a set of branding and technical requirements)

-Rob