incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: EN Forum Activity Summary
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 00:32:14 GMT
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Hagar Delest <hagar.delest@laposte.net> wrote:
> Le ven. 30 déc. 2011 09:57:45 CET, Andrew Rist <andrew.rist@oracle.com> a
> écrit :
>
>> This is great stuff - any way this could be posted as a blog post on the
>> main AOO blog?
>>
>> Andrew
>

> Here is a proposal.
> ___________________________________
>
> The Community Forum: New Year Status
>
> After 4 years of existence, the Community Forum has moved on the ASF servers
> end of October 2011. Here are some figures about how we are doing on the
> English forum. I will try to make this kind of report on a monthly basis in
> the forum
> (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=46497)
> but not on the blog. This post is just to announce it.
>
> Some history first. To make a long story short: fearing the disappearance of
> the first forum (http://www.oooforum.org) due to spam especially, a group of
> users decided to create a new forum managed by the users themselves. Topics
> about the whole story can be found on both forums. By luck, Sun offered to
> host the forum on their servers in Hamburg (for free) but our independence
> was part of the deal. The forum has been tagged “official” rather wrongly:
> even if we were on Sun then Oracle hardware, they both have never interfered
> in the running of the forum and we are deeply grateful for that.
> To manage the forum, a group of Volunteers has been settled. It was first
> made of the users who departed from oooforum (some still contribute to it)
> and then users have been integrated when their contribution showed a true
> dedication to the forum (steady activity and quality of posts). We had a
> private area (not visible by standard users) where the management of the
> forum could be discussed like moderation, forum software features, … So the
> forum is really managed by a group of users helping other users (for free,
> on their spare time).

I don't know if you saw it or not, but we already had a blog post on
the forum migration:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/openoffice_org_migration_the_community

That dealt with the history, etc.   I think you could get straight to
the "New Year Status".

Also, I think we should avoid saying negative things about
oooforum.org.  Remember, they are part of our ecosystem as well.

> Participation is really easy: just register and post your question! (a
> search before is of course welcomed but well, we are prepared to the eternal
> September). A survival guide is available, covering all the basic questions
> a new forum user could have. And if you want to have your say, you can apply
> for the Volunteer status. You can also subscribe to topics (no need to post)
> to be notified when new replies are posted.
> Note that the forum has never been a marketing tool. Our target is not to
> promote OOo blindly but to give the best advice as possible to get the users
> out of the trouble he is facing. Therefore, advising to keep other software
> (including proprietary suites) is part of our replies.
> The forum is also dedicated to OOo derived products and for them, the only
> limit is the user base visiting the forum. Many of us run LibreOffice in
> parallel for example.
> Power users are OOo users like you and me, we usually use one or two
> components much more than the others and we reply with our own experience
> (trials and a kind of reverse engineering sometimes). Some have also great
> skills for macros and give their code snippets (dedicated section). We are
> from all over the world and the success led to the creation of other native
> language sections.
> As you can see, the forum is really a major part of the OOo project. The
> dedication of the helpers has led to a steady rate of the registration as
> you can see below. The figures start at day 1 when the creation of the forum
> has been announced on the mailing list.

We could almost skip to this, with a brief intro.  Otherswise this
post is very, very long and few will actually read this far.  Much of
the other material above is good stuff, but you could make another
blog post of that.