incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What if any responsibility will Apache OpenOffice have with regards to legacy software
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:48:23 GMT
On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I own a couple of HP computers, one of which a Mini 110 includes a HP
>>> specific Linux distro (Mi) which came pre-installed.
>>>
>>> The other day the system performed an update from the Mi reposotories,
>>> including a new version of OpenOffice.org - an update to version 2.4...
>>>
>>> So, back to my subject line.
>>>
>>> Just a general question.
>>>

>> Responsibility in what sense?  Anyone is welcome to ask questions on
>> the user list and support forums for questions related to OOo and
>> related products.  This is a free service, provided by the community,
>> not a "responsibility".
>>
>> There is no warranty provided with OOo or AOO releases, unless that
>> warranty comes from some company.  If so, that company may have
>> responsibilities with regards to legacy OOo releases.  But that is not
>> our concern.
>>
>> From a community perspective, not a contractual one, I think we "owe
>> it to the community" to provide an upgrade path for as many legacy
>> users as possible.  This probably includes a clean upgrade path for
>> 2.4 users as well.
>
> I don't see any reason that we would drop access to legacy releases on openoffice.org
and we have been allowed to put legacy distros into archives.apache.org.

> I don't think we update www.openoffice.org to full Apache OpenOffice branding until we
either have a long term plan or we have an AOO 3.4 release.

Is that then why we have nonsensical statements on the website, like:

'Apache "OpenOffice.org" is an effort undergoing incubation at The
Apache Software Foundation (ASF)'

Whether we have had a release or not, or regardless of whether you
personally think we have a plan or not, I don't what we have now on
the website makes any sense.  If you look at every other podling at
Apache, they are encouraged to have and maintain a consistent branding
from day 1.  It is not predicated on a release or a "long term plan".

Why should we be different?

-Rob