incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving ahead with the AOO logo and rebranding
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 20:32:38 GMT
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2012, at 10:43 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Look Rob, it is clear you lack any notion of the years of
>>> history infra has had supporting new initiatives for projects
>>> that were brought here, and have no grasp of how rude your
>>> remarks are to the people who try to service this particular
>>> project's needs and interests.
>>>

>> I've been through this several times.  I know that everything new we
>> ask for is considered impossible at first, or we're told to just go
>> away, or that the request is an insult to the dignity of Infra.  But I
>> also know that with time and patience and careful explanation, it all
>> becomes possible in the end, and is done quite well.  I understand how
>> it works.  I've already been sent the "users manual" for Infra.
>
> The bumps have attracted more attention than what has gone smoothly.
>
> We need more than TJ and Drew to manage the MediaWiki and Forums.
>
> Who are our projects BZ admins? Are there remaining issues.
>
> Joe has done significant work on the Apache CMS making it resilient to the very large
sledgehammer that is the OOo website.

> Pootle server required no handwringing, other Apache projects had a need. Does anyone
know if we have the old data from Martin, et al?

> Buildbots are being worked on...
>
> E&T are in process. Who is working on the short term MOU w/ SF?
>
> Apache Infrastructure is doing a huge amount of work for AOO.
>
> Please be thankful and not so willing to engage in every fight and always having the
last word.

And AOO volunteers are doing a huge amount for the project as well.
We're all doing this for a common purpose, so I'd appreciate it if we
stopped excusing Infra like it was a different class of volunteer (or
paid Apache staff as the case may be) that is free to insult another
class of volunteer (or paid employee as the case may be).  Let's not
perpetuate the perception that those who work hard (paid or volunteer)
get a "free pass" on civility.

I made a reasonable observation on the advantage of having our own
instance of Lime.  This solves the data security/privacy problem.  It
could also provide a good substitute for the user registration system
that we lost when migrating to Apache.  You, Joe, or anyone else, may
agree or disagree with these points and are free to argue your points.
 But the personal insults do not belong here.

-Rob