incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:56:21 GMT
This showed up on Yahoo today...

http://news.yahoo.com/wikipedia-editors-sites-blackout-120914984.html

Apparently some feel that Wikipedia shouldn't take any political
stands at all...that it sets a bad precedent and potentially damages
its reputation.  Me, I think Wikipedia isn't taking a political stand
as much as a personal one, since the legislation affects Wikipedia
directly.  But perceptions are subjective.

I think Apache in general, and perhaps AOO in particular, could also
take a personal stand.  After all, if I'm reading the EFF analysis
correctly, one good open-source encryption implementation could get
Apache shut down.  Weren't y'all discussing encryption standards and
implementations here a few months ago?

Don