incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:39:28 GMT
Including the list this time.  Watch those reply-tos, Dennis...:)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Don,
>
> What's your understanding of the connection between open-source encryption algorithms
and SOPA/PIPA?  Where is there more information available?

This was the EFF article I saw on the topic:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/11/hollywood-new-war-on-software-freedom-and-internet-innovation

It's a little alarmist, but the general tone is that if some idiot can
think there's any relationship between software that hides information
and efforts to circumvent DNS censorship, the site that provides said
software can find itself blocked.

Feel free to substitute "government official" for "idiot" as needed.
Seriously, how many politicians do you know that really know what
security software does?  They don't have to be right.  They just have
to have the authority.