incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Team OpenOffice White Label Office (powered by Apache Open Office)
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:35:52 GMT
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:

> --- Mer 4/1/12, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> ha scritto:
> >
> > It doesn't make sense to me that all of the above must use
> > a different name than "OpenOffice", since some of them are
> > exactly equal to OpenOffice, just changing by distribution
> > or packaging mechanism.
> >
> > For example, once Pedro has a BSD port working, and is
> > ready to distribute it, what would it be called?  "BSD
> > Office"?  Or could it be called "Apache OpenOffice, BSD
> > Edition"   That is a good example of a port.
> >

> Neither: it will be the FreeBSD Apache Openffice port,
> not unlike the FreeBSD OpenOffice.org port:
> http://www.freshports.org/editors/openoffice.org-3/
>
> or the FreeBSD Apache httpd port:
> http://www.freshports.org/www/apache22/
>
> Our packaging system builds everything directly from
> the sources and we don't really do enough changes to
> justify rebranding.
>
> cheers,
>
> Pedro.

That makes sense, Pedro.  The package names for Ubuntu-distributed packages
often have Ubuntu versioning built into the package name, but the product
when running doesn't mention Ubuntu, as the changes (if any) are minimal or
internal to the install package itself.  In cases like that, "Powered by.."
doesn't make any sense.
ASF has a pretty plain page about trademark use
http://apache.org/foundation/marks/ which helped me understand what was
going on when I was writing some pieces for training purposes.

Wolf.

[erlang syntax shows up everywhere].
%% just geek humour