incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Danese Cooper <>
Subject Re: 18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:53:35 GMT
While it might have been appropriate for ASF projects such as AOO to
join today's SOPA/PIPA protest, I agree that it's too late to
coordinate now. The Wikipedia community has been working towards their
protest action for more than a week, including a town hall meeting and
other consensus-verification processes.  Even so, there is today an
interview with a community member who doesn't like the action they've
taken.  In short, I just don't think we have time to socialize such an
action on the part of even the AOO project before the protest would be

On Jan 18, 2012, at 8:05 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <> wrote:

> All,
> Proposal:
> 1. Let's vote on supporting those who have protested the proposed US
> bills supposed to combat piracy but actually doing a lot more than
> that and none of it good. These two proposals: SOPA and PIPA.
> Wikipedia has a fair account:
> 2. I would propose we post on the Apache OpenOffice podling site this
> language, for remainder of the day, to be taken down at the onset of
> 19 January 2012 GMT.
> ** The Apache OpenOffice Podling members support those who have
> darkened their Web sites as a unified gesture to protect the freedoms
> of the Internet and stop misguided legislation that would threaten
> them. **
> I would propose further that we have the text white on a black banner
> at the top of every podling page.
> Please vote as soon as you can, as obviously time is of the essence.
> thanks
> louis
> PS I'm cc'ing the ASF marketing and publicity list. Quite possible
> that Apache will say no, if so, that's fine. Better we act as a body
> together. But I would also suggest that ASF take the lead here and
> issue a statement, if they have not done so already.

View raw message