incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:05:05 GMT
On 5 January 2012 13:57, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> 2012/1/5 Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>:
>> On 1/5/12 12:12 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

>> And the proposed index only solution is not satisfying for me because of the
>> explained reasons (missing hosting of the binary extension packages or
>> templates). But I would like to learn more about it and especially how it
>> should be maintained, the frontend how users would register their extensions
>
> Let's take an example of the general pattern, with blogs.  ...  they all agree
> on some basic standards:  HTML for the content, and RSS or Atom for
> syndication.

> So the model that I think is attractive for extensions and templates is:

> 2) What we do specify are:
>
> a) The metadata related to extensions.

> b) An encoding of the metadata, in XML.

At the risk of diverting this thread too far from the goal of coming
up with an overall plan for moving forwards short-medium-long term...

Consider the RDF Description of a Project format. The ASF uses it for
http://projects.apache.org That site is generated from a bunch of
PERL, XSL and the like pulling content from wherever the projects want
to host their DOAP descriptor and publishing a catalogue. It's not as
feature rich as needed for AOO but it is a good proof of concept.

For an intro to DOAP see http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/doap.xml

Remember that there are a whole load of ASF projects dealing with RDF
data, it's quite possible some of those will be keen to help us if
this were a route we took.

Ross