incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:12:14 GMT
As a separate point in this thread I should also point out that the
ASF has some experience of dealing with off-site repository providers.
Not all of it good. Most of the problems have been a result of lack of
planning and lack of adequate protection of the trademarks involved.

All those cases (to my knowledge) have now reached satisfactory
states. I imagine the Board will be keen to see that The PPMC has
considered the kinds of terms that will be offered to third party
sites with respect to trademark usage. My recommendation would be to
simply state that no use beyond those approved by existing ASF policy
will be required.

I also suggest that if the PPMC wants to take Sourceforge up on the
offer that it is made clear to all parties that this will not be the
"official" AOO extensions repository. Only the ASF will host official
Apache services. However, this does not mean that the AOO site and
product cannot link out to an SF provided repository.

Remember also that the ASF cannot do anything that benefits a single
organisation more than any other. Therefore, any agreement with
Sourceforge cannot be exclusive. There must be opportunities for
others to offer similar services if they want to put the effort into
doing so.

Ross

OpenDirective http://opendirective.com