incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:47:58 GMT
On 3 January 2012 16:25, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> As the community know Gav, in his role at infrastructure@ has
>> undertaken to stabilise and migrate the AOO extensions code to ASF
>> infrastructure. His work has been progressing and he remains committed
>> to completing this.
>>
>> However, as some know Sourceforge made an offer to help via our
>> private list. At the time they did not want to discuss this topic in
>> public for a number of reasons. I've had a couple of chats with
>> Roberto Gallopini and Jeff Drobick in order to help them understand
>> why the ASF prefers to host all services for its projects. In response
>> SF have tailored their offer of support.
>>

> Thanks for the wonderful job of reaching out to SourceForge and
> connecting us to this offer, Ross.

Well they chased me down, all I did was agree to talk. They are
serious about this and wouldn't let me say "no" ;-) (well, I guess
they wouldn't have). Thanks anyway.

>> I relayed the outline of our conversations to the infrastructure team
>> who have asked me to have the AOO project provide some feedback, via a
>> board report, on what problems the AOO project forsee for the
>> extensions site and what options are available, if possible a
>> recommendation for an optimal solution should also be made. Note that
>> we can submit something out of cycle if we want, the next full report
>> is not due till March.
>>

> This has already been discussed, in detail in a previous thread:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/sm57zvd5gnblxpo6
>
> I believe that discussion is what prompted Gavin to action.  If
> someone wants to copy and paste that into a Board report, then they
> are welcome to do so.

Thanks for the pointer, always good not to duplicate effort. I'm not
sure that thread ever came to a conclusion though. It is certainly
what prompted Gav into action, but the solution Gav is currently
working on is a short term one for incubation. Longer term Gav is
committed to providing the meta-data repository. What happens to the
extensions after that? Do we host them at the ASF or do we work
something out with others, such as SF (and you are right to point out
this is not an either or, nor do we have to limit ourselves to SF
providing an extensions community environment).

I leave the rest of your post uncommented to allow others time to
speak up (and me time to re-read that thread to make sure I didn't
miss anything important). In general I agree with your observations
and would like to see the options you present (and others that come to
mind) explored.

Ross