incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:08:37 GMT
On 6 January 2012 14:07, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

>>> Can we please put a stop to this meme. Nobody has said that it *can't*
>>> be kept as part of the project. I have no idea why this keeps getting
>>> repeated. There are issues to be addressed, but nobody has said we
>>> can't address them. That's what this thread is about, creating a
>>> proposal for the board to consider and give us an indication as to
>>> whether it would be acceptable or not.
>>
>> Furthermore, please remember that to allow a single third party to
>> host a required service for an Apache project is also against ASF
>> policy. In fact it is quite possibly against the law (I'm no lawyer so
>> this is speculation).
>>

> I think you meant to say to "exclusively allow a single third party".

Yes, that is what I meant by the word "single" damn the English
language and it's subtleties.

> At least I hope so, since we're currently allowing OSL to host.

That's a different issue, that is a hosting provider. I was referring
to brand association and profiteering as a result.

>> So far this thread has made it clear (at least to me) that there are
>> two phases to this:
>>
>> - short-medium term stabilise the extensions code and hosting
>> - long term move to a federated approach
>>
>> Stabilisation needs to happen before the 3.3 release
>> Federation can't happen before the 3.4 release and may not happen until later
>>
>> Rob has suggested we consider accepting the SF offer and asking infra
>> to help with the longer term goal of federation (which was originally
>> suggested by Gav).
>>
>> In this proposal I would like to require that SF  open source their
>> work on stabilising the platform (which is their intention, as I
>> understand it). The federation code would be managed here in the
>> foundation.
>>

> It would be good to clarify exactly what license the original site us
> under as well.

I already did in an earlier message:

"If distributed it''s GPL since it's Drupal based. It could be argued
that (assuming it's implemented as modules) that the modules are are
not derivatives, but that is not the policy of the Drupal project [1]

Note, I don't believe there is currently any license applied, Gav
reported that he got permission from Oracle to just take it."

>> There is very little difference, in my opinion, between these two
>> proposals. The only significant different that I can see is who does
>> the work in the short term. Am I missing something?
>>

> The longer-term federated approach does not need to be based on the
> current Drupal solution.  It might share a similar data model to ease
> migration.  But I don't see any reason why we could not make the
> federated solution be based on ALv2 code.

Agreed, but then that is more work again that someone has to do.

>> The middle ground is to have SF do the stabilisation and for the ASF
>> to accelerate the move to a federated site. In my opinion (and it is
>> only my opinion), this model risks slowing down graduation since the
>> federation site would need to be active in order to ensure a level
>> playing field for all.
>>

> I don't see federation as being a graduation requirement.  Remember,
> federation is not needed for having a level playing field.  It merely
> helps allow the different hosts to coordinate in an easier way to
> benefit the users.

As an IPMC member I would be concerned about a promise of breaking the
Sourceforge stranglehold on the extensions site for the reasons I
express above (ASF cannot benefit one organisation over another).
However, I am only a single member of the IPMC and others may not have
the same concerns.

That being said, I had assumed that shipped AOO code would point to a
single, or even default site. Although the financial gain is not the
same I see this as being comparable to Firefox shipping with Google as
the default search engine. Mozilla can do this because of their legal
structure, the ASF cannot.

A proposal that addresses this concern would be good (and yes, I note
your suggestion for dealing with this that might be sufficient, anyone
else have ideas?)

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)