incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 17:39:06 GMT
On 6 January 2012 16:31, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> On 6 January 2012 15:49, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>>> OK.  So if we want to host the extensions site, as is, and have it
>>> conform to some revised ASF policy, then we would need to be able to
>>> do things like:
>>>
>>> 1) Host GPL extensions on Apache servers, using websites associated
>>> with Apache products, using Apache trademarks.  In other words,
>>> without the distance the Board has encouraged the use of Apache-Extras
>>> for in the past.
>>
>> That is not a correct summary of the ASFs position. We do not
>> *develop* software that is under any licence other than ALv2 (go to
>> apache-extras). As far as I understand it the extensions site does not
>> provide development support.
>>
>> We do not distribute incompatibly licensed code that might restrict
>> the rights of our downstream users to *modify* the source of our
>> projects. Since none of the extensions will be bundled with AOO
>> releases this is not relevant.
>>

> You seem to be saying that anything not forbidden may be allowed.

No, I'm saying that as a mentor of the AOO podling, as a long standing Member of The Apache
Software Foundation and as a current VP of the foundation I believe that I have a pretty good
feel for why things are the way they are. This allows me to, with reasonable confidence, guess
at what would be allowed and what would not.

At the very least, I know the boundaries of my knowledge and I know who to ask once I know
what to ask. Hence this thread.

Ross