incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:24:33 GMT
On 6 January 2012 15:03, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>> I'm not saying you *will* be allowed to host them, I'm saying you
>> *may* be allowed to. Similarly, I'm asking you, and others, to stop
>> saying you *won't* be able to host them.
>>

> You are playing games with semantics.  If something is out of policy
> then it is correct to say we may not do it, where "we" is the PPPC.
> That is a statement about the here and now.  Whether "we" could do it
> if the policy changed, or whether "we" left Apache and set up
> elsewhere, are all interesting questions, but not really the here and
> now.

This is really not helpful. The ASF is not a place where things are
written in stone. On multiple occasions I and others, have said the
policy might be changeable here.

What we are discussing are the options for the *future*. I am not
playing with semantics I am stating a simple fact - if the policy as
it is today is restricting the AOO podling the ASF will consider
changing that policy.

At best arguing against this fact is a waste of time, at worst
claiming this fact is not relevant is preventing us from considering
other potential solutions.

Lets continue to focus on what the AOO *wants* not what some of us
perceive is *allowed*. Once we know what is wanted we can explore what
is possible.

Ross