incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Question related derivative code based on our Apache licensed code
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 14:44:52 GMT
On 4 January 2012 14:17, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2012, at 12:59, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On 1/4/12 1:08 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:
>>> My personal opinions on this, naturally:

their code that was based on the former Oracle licensed LGPL code. This code becomes automatically
Apache licensed, correct?

>>> Probably not, no. The existing LGPLv3 licensed code remains LGPLv3 licensed,
and as a requirement of the LGPLv3 the new code added to it has to be made available under
the LGPLv3 as well. As a consequence, the resulting modified work will be licensed under LGPLv3.
The Apache code that was added remains under the Apache license too (which is OK since there
is no conflict between the terms of the AL and LGPLv3).

>> are you sure?
>
> Pretty sure, yes. Rob and Ross appear to agree.

Yes, as a general statement I agree with Simon. However, the devil is
always in the detail. Hence my warning about asking generic legal
questions.

The reply above (and those of Rob and myself) makes certain
assumptions about the conditions in which the question can apply. It
is noticeable that the three of us have made different assumptions
about the specifics and thus have provide slightly different answers,
each based on the same generic position.

Specific questions are needed.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)